Need for Renewal
The Cannon Building
has not received a comprehensive systems upgrade since the 1930s, and many of the building’s systems are original – dating back to 1908 or earlier. The systems are past the end of their useful lives and the increasing risk of their failure jeopardizes the building’s long-term functionality and safety. Other necessary work includes upgrading infrastructure systems andrepairing the exterior stone façade.
Cannon Renewal Project
The Cannon Renewal Project will provide an effective workplace for the next century to serve the needs of the U.S. House of Representatives and support Congressional operations.
The renewal process is scheduled to take approximately 10 years, with each of the five phases (0-4) aligned to fall between Congressional move cycles. Phases 1-4 of the project will require that affected wings of the building be vacated. Members and their staffs will remain in the upper campus, while some Committee and support staff will relocate to the Ford House Office Building or the O'Neill Federal Building.
Phase 0 is scheduled to begin after the 2014 election and will have a low impact on building occupants. This phase includes installing building utilities, primarily in the basement and the moat area of the courtyard. This phase enables future work to connect to the new systems, minimizing shutdowns and disturbances.
Phases 1-4 impact a quarter of the building, one side at a time, starting with the west wing in 2017 (New Jersey Avenue) followed by the north wing, east wing and concluding with the south wing. Members in the CHOB will not be relocated until December 2016 in advance of the Phase 1 construction. Construction activities are expected to take place during normal business hours, with the noisiest work activities occurring after business hours.
Beginning in September 2014 and remaining for the project duration, a portion of Lot 1 lot immediately south of the Cannon Building will be closed. The Lot 1 site will house the contractor's construction offices and equipment.
On April 14, 1906, President Theodore Roosevelt laid the cornerstone for the Cannon House Office Building (pictured).
Designed by Carrere and Hastings in the Beaux-Arts style, the building was first occupied by the 61st Congress in December 1908. By 1913 the House of Representatives had outgrown the office space in the building and 51rooms were added to the originalstructure by raising the roof and constructing a fifth floor.
The 824,465 square foot building includes 142 Member suites, four committee hearing rooms, the historic Caucus Room, and Rotunda. The building also contains committee staff offices, a Member’s Library, food service and other support services.