Stewards of the iconic buildings and grounds of Capitol Hill since 1793.

Featured

The Old Supreme Court Chamber is the first room constructed for the use of the nation's highest judiciary body and was used by the Court from 1810 until 1860. Built by Benjamin Henry Latrobe, it was a significant architectural achievement, for the size and structure of its vaulted, semicircular ceiling were virtually unprecedented in the United States.
The Old Supreme Court Chamber is the first room constructed for the use of the...

Featured

A view of the Capitol Visitor Center lit up at night
The Office of Congressional Accessibility Services (OCAS) provides a variety...

Featured

Painted Portrait of Benjamin Henry Latrobe
Benjamin Henry Latrobe was hired by President Jefferson in 1803 to fill the...

Featured

Military Bands Summer Concert Series 2014
The 2014 series of concerts will be inaugurated by the Navy Band on Monday,...

Flags Over The East And West Central Fronts Of The Capitol

Flags Over The East And West Central Fronts Of The Capitol

Flags Over The East And West Central Fronts Of The Capitol flying on either side of the original low dome above the corridors connecting the areas now known as National Statuary Hall and the Old Senate Chamber.
Overview 

No record has been found for the earliest date the flag was flown over the east and west central fronts of the Capitol. Early engravings and lithographs in the office of the Architect of the Capitol show flags flying on either side of the original low dome above the corridors connecting the areas now known as National Statuary Hall and the Old Senate Chamber.

After the addition of the new House and Senate wings in the 1850s, even before the great dome was completed in 1866, photographs show flags flying over each new wing and the central east and west fronts.

An appropriation to provide flags for the east and west fronts was made in the Sundry Civil Appropriations Act [28 Stat. 393], approved August 18, 1894, as follows: "To provide flags for the east and west fronts of the center of the Capitol, to be hoisted daily under the direction of the Capitol Police board, $100, or so much thereof as may be necessary."

The custom of flying the flags 24 hours a day over the east and west fronts was begun during World War I. Requests were received from all over the country urging that the flag of the United States be flown continuously over the public buildings in Washington, D.C. Authorities in charge of the Capitol consider it a fitting mark of respect that our flag be kept flying at all times over the United States Capitol.

The east and west front flags, which are 8 by 12 feet, are replaced by new ones when they are no longer fitting emblems for display.
 

Last Updated: September 25, 2014