Stewards of the iconic buildings and grounds of Capitol Hill since 1793.

Featured

Winston Churchill Bust is made of bronze and was unveiled in a ceremony at the U.S. Capitol on October 30, 2013. The bust is located in the small House Rotunda on the first floor of the U.S. Capitol.
The bronze bust of Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965) was unveiled in a...

Featured

Snapshot of a crowd of people on a guided tour through the Rotunda of the U.S. Capitol
Official Tours of the U.S. Capitol Building are offered Monday through...

Featured

Stewardship
The Architect of the Capitol is committed to the preservation and stewardship...

Featured

The Capitol Crypt, which now houses statuary and exhibitions, was once used as an informal storage space where bicycles were parked, seen here circa 1900.
The term “crypt” has long referred to a space beneath the main floor of a...

Ionic Columns

The sun shining on the Ionic Columns on the Longworth House Office Building.
Overview 

The Ionic column is typically identified by its capital, which includes large paired spiral scrolls, or volutes. It has the tallest base of the three classic Greek orders. Columns in this style can be found throughout Capitol Hill, including the U.S. Capitol, the Supreme Court Building and the exterior of the Longworth House Office Building.

The Old Senate Chamber, located in the U.S. Capitol Building, is a two-story room modeled after the amphitheaters of antiquity. Eight Ionic columns of variegated marble quarried along the Potomac River support the Chamber’s gallery on the east wall; they were inspired by the columns of the Erechtheion in Athens.

The Supreme Court Building’s grand Court Chamber is a dignified room lighted by side windows behind screens of Ionic columns. The 24 columns are made of Old Convent Quarry Siena marble from Liguria, Italy.

The Longworth House Office Building is one of Washington’s best examples of the Neo-Classical Revival architecture. Its exterior features Ionic columns that support a well-proportioned entablature and are used for the building's five porticoes, the principal one of which is topped by a pediment.