East central portico, above the Rotunda doors
The two winged figures, hovering in the air, hold laurel wreaths above the bust of the George Washington. Fame, on the right, also holds a trumpet; Peace, on the left, a palm branch. The original sandstone panel and bust were executed by Antonio Capellano in 1827. By the time of the extension of the east central front of the Capitol, over a century and a half later, they had deteriorated badly and were reproduced in marble by the carvers of the Vernont Marble Company. The plaster model used to create the new carvings is located on the north wall of the Dirksen Senate Office Building subway terminal. The original sandstone bust is on display near the Capitol Crypt.