Stewards of the iconic buildings and grounds of Capitol Hill since 1793.

Featured

The Summerhouse, a hexagon-shaped brick structure set into the sloping hillside of the West Front lawn on the Senate side of the U.S. Capitol Building, has offered rest and shelter to travelers for over a century.
The Summerhouse, a hexagon-shaped brick structure set into the sloping...

Featured

Screenshot of Google Maps image of United States Capitol and surrounding areas.
Located at the center of Washington, D.C., the U.S. Capitol Building and other...

Featured

Clive Atyeo, Gardener, USBG
Information about working for the Architect of the Capitol:

Featured

Military Bands Summer Concert Series 2014
The 2014 series of concerts will be inaugurated by the Navy Band on Monday,...

Saint Louis

Saint Louis
Jean de Marco
Artist

Marble
28" dia.
1950
House of Representatives Chamber

Overview 

Saint Louis (1214-1270) King Louis IX of France; author of the Mise of Amiens, a judgment on a dispute between Henry III and rebellious English barons.

The 23 marble relief portraits over the gallery doors of the House Chamber depict historical figures noted for their work in establishing the principles that underlie American law. They were installed when the chamber was remodeled in 1949-1950.
 
Created in bas relief of white Vermont marble by seven different sculptors, the plaques each measure 28 inches in diameter. The eleven profiles in the eastern half of the chamber face left and the eleven in the western half face right, so that all look towards the full-face relief of Moses in the center of the north wall.
 
The subjects of the reliefs were chosen by scholars from the University of Pennsylvania and the Columbia Historical Society of Washington, D.C., in consultation with authoritative staff members of the Library of Congress. The selection was approved by a special committee of five Members of the House of Representatives and the Architect of the Capitol.
 
The plaster models for these reliefs are on display on the walls in the Rayburn House Office Building subway terminal.
 
Last Updated: June 27, 2012