Featured

Photograph of people walking outside on a Self-Guided Tour of Capitol Hill
Visitors can tour many highlights on Capitol Hill without registering.

Featured

IG team in Bartholdi Park.
The Architect of the Capitol's Office of Inspector General (OIG) promotes...

Featured

Outdoor Tours at the Capitol
While the Rotunda is unavailable for tours, an alternate tour route in the...

Art

John Campbell Greenway (Replaced)

Overview 

This statue of John Campbell Greenway represented Arizona in the National Statuary Hall Collection from 1930-2015. In 2015, the statue was replaced by one of Barry Goldwater.

Gutzon Borglum
Artist

Bronze
Given by Arizona in 1930
Replaced in 2015 by statue of Barry Goldwater

Bronze statue of John Campbell Greenway

A man of many trades in many states, John Campbell Greenway was born in Huntsville, Alabama, on July 6, 1872. He attended the University of Virginia and graduated from the Sheffield Scientific School of Yale University in 1895. His early employment as a furnace helper for the Carnegie Steel Company was brief, as he joined Roosevelt's Rough Riders in the Spanish-American War. After earning a Silver Star for his courageous service at the Battle of San Juan Hill, he was recommended for brevet captain by Colonel Roosevelt.

Beginning in 1899, Greenway held executive positions in a number of mine, steel and railroad companies throughout Arizona. He invented the turbo log washer and built the town of Ajo. Greenway served for one year as a regent of the University of Arizona before the United States entered World War I. During the war, he was especially praised for his heroic conduct in battle and was cited for bravery at Cambrai. France awarded him the Croix de Guerre, the Legion of Honor, and the Croix de l'Etoile. He also received a Distinguished Service Cross.

In 1919, Greenway became a colonel of the infantry, and three years later he was promoted to brigadier general. Full of stamina, John Greenway continued to be active in business until his death in New York City on January 19, 1926.

Download this statue's information as a PDF.

Last Updated: February 10, 2016