Stewards of the iconic buildings and grounds of Capitol Hill since 1793.

Featured

The Old Supreme Court Chamber is the first room constructed for the use of the nation's highest judiciary body and was used by the Court from 1810 until 1860. Built by Benjamin Henry Latrobe, it was a significant architectural achievement, for the size and structure of its vaulted, semicircular ceiling were virtually unprecedented in the United States.
The Old Supreme Court Chamber is the first room constructed for the use of the...

Featured

A crowd of people visiting the Capitol during visitor hours
Please note: Many of these Capitol Hill buildings are working office buildings...

Featured

Photo with enclosed area on Dome.
Update: November 2014 Scaffoldin​g and Restoring PhaseThe scaffolding assembly...

Featured

Statue of John L. “Jack” Swigert, Jr.
Visitors to the Capitol are often drawn to the "big ticket" items,...

Anna Franz

Photographic portrait of Anna Franz
Director, Planning and Project Management

Ms. Anna Franz joined the Architect of the Capitol as Director of Planning and Project Management in June 2006. In this role, she oversees a central support organization which provides architecture and engineering design, project and construction management, and in-house construction services to the U.S. Capitol, House Office Buildings, Senate Office Buildings, Library of Congress, U.S. Botanic Garden, and other Agency jurisdictional facilities.

Ms. Franz’s 24 year federal career in facilities and program management commenced after being commissioned as an Ensign in 1985. She served six years on active duty in the United States Navy Department Civil Engineer Corp, then resigned from active duty to pursue a civilian career. She served as the Department of Justice Project Director for the $300 million Robert F. Kennedy Main Justice Building Renovation, then as Project Executive at the Smithsonian Institution for the $216 million Patent Office Building Renovation and Courtyard Enclosure. Following these major historic renovation projects, Ms. Franz was selected for the position of Director, Division of Capital Project Management at the National Institutes of Health. In this capacity, she was responsible for the management of the development of large, complex, and/or high profile leased and owned federal facility projects from planning and design through construction and occupancy. Significant contributions resulting from this nationwide program totaling $1 billion in design and $2.2 billion in major capital construction include opening the Mark O. Hatfield Clinical Research Center, John Edward Porter Neuroscience Research Center (Phase I), and the C.W. Bill Young Center for Bio-defense and Emerging Infectious Diseases; initiating the first public-private development at the Biomedical Research Center for the agency, and executing design and construction plan for the National Institutes of Health’s Bio-defense Program, Federally Owned Property and Leased projects to meet mission, schedule, cost, and quality goals.

Ms. Franz received a Master of Architecture from The University of Texas at Austin, a Doctor of Philosophy from The George Washington University, and is a registered architect in Virginia. She is a member of the American Institute of Architects and has received numerous awards, including The Architect’s Citation Award, General Services Administration Honor Award in Preservation and Conservation and Attorney General Special Commendation Award.