Stewards of the iconic buildings and grounds of Capitol Hill since 1793.

Featured

The Cannon House Office Building, completed in 1908, is the oldest congressional office building as well as a significant example of the Beaux Arts style of architecture.
The Cannon House Office Building, completed in 1908, is the oldest...

Featured

The Summerhouse on the Capitol Grounds surrounded by pink azalea flowers.
A few ideas to help you in planning a visit to Capitol Hill.

Featured

Photo of the U.S. Capitol Building, West Front, Early April 2014.
A multi-phased project designed to address deferred maintenance, extend the...

Featured

The Capitol Crypt, which now houses statuary and exhibitions, was once used as an informal storage space where bicycles were parked, seen here circa 1900.
The term “crypt” has long referred to a space beneath the main floor of a...

Michael G. Turnbull

A photographic portrait of Michael G. Turnbull
Assistant Architect of the Capitol

Mr. Turnbull received his Bachelor of Architecture, a five-year professional degree, at the University of Illinois in Chicago. 

After university, Mr. Turnbull worked for several Chicago architectural firms, including Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, and O’Donnell, Wicklund, Pigozzi, and Peterson on numerous institutional and commercial projects. In 1984, Mr. Turnbull was retained by the Art Institute of Chicago to provide oversight on the museum’s capital building campaign.

After managing several successful renovations, he was created Director of the newly formed Department of Design and Construction. During his tenure with the museum, Mr. Turnbull oversaw significant and award-winning projects including the Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Building Addition, the Ryerson Library Renovation, the Allerton Building Renovation as well as several major monument restorations for the museum’s Ferguson Fund, including the Clarence F. Buckingham Memorial Fountain and Lorado Taft’s Fountain of Time.

In 1998, Mr. Turnbull was selected by the 10th Architect of the Capitol, Alan M. Hantman to be the Assistant Architect of the Capitol and instituted major reorganization initiatives to improve project delivery and programming. Mr. Turnbull established a new Project Management Division, a Design Services Department, a Facilities Planning and Programming Department and restructured the operations at the Power Plant into a cohesive Utilities and Infrastructure unit.  

In 2002, Mr. Turnbull took on the Architect of the Capitol’s statutory responsibilities on the District of Columbia’s Zoning Commission (including the Board of Zoning Adjustment) and the National Capital Memorial Commission. Mr. Turnbull also serves as the agency’s senior executive on the modernization of the Supreme Court of the United States.

Mr. Turnbull is a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects, certified with the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards and is a licensed architect in Virginia, Maryland, the District of Columbia and Illinois.