The AOC has been working with the United States Senate over the past few years to oversee professional conservators to restore the Brumidi Corridors
to their original appearance. Work to restore the “Zodiac Corridor” in the Brumidi Corridors was completed in May 2013.
A temporary wall constructed in 2003 to create an office out of the Zodiac Corridor was removed on March 11, 2013, following completion of the majority of the conservation of the ceiling and wall murals in this area. The removal of the wall restored the integrity of Brumidi’s design for the corridors and allows the sunlight flow back into the intersection of the north and west corridors.
First painted by Constantino Brumidi
in the 1850s, the corridors that bear his name are on the first floor of the Senate–side (north wing) of the Capitol. Known as the “Capitol extension” they were constructed between 1852 and 1859. Brumidi based his decorative scheme for the ceiling and walls on Raphael’s Loggia in the Vatican.
The walls and ceiling decorations have been repaired many times during the past 160 years. Before more modern preservation work, such repair work included repeating retouching, repainting and varnishing. Over time, these treatments changed the original appearance making it appear darker and “flatter” than it was when first created.