Alan M. Hantman, FAIA, was appointed Architect of the Capitol for a 10-year term in 1997 by President William Clinton. He was confirmed by the United States Senate on January 30, 1997, and was the first Architect of the Capitol to undergo confirmation according to new procedures established by legislation in 1989.
As Architect of the Capitol, Hantman created detailed valuations and master plans for each of the nine jurisdictions under the responsibility of the Architect of the Capiol, providing an overall road map for phased renovations and growth, including plans for the restoration of the U.S. Capitol's cast-iron Dome. Hantman oversaw the detailed design and construction of the 580,000 square foot Capitol Visitor Center that increased the size of the U.S. Capitol by 70 percent. During his tenure, Hantman also oversaw the complete reconstruction and expansion of the U.S. Botanic Garden Conservatory, the Capitol Power Plant, and the design and construction of the National Garden.
Under Mr. Hantman, a renovation and upgrade of the historic Supreme Court Building and an underground addition were initiated. Projects for the Library of Congress (LOC) included the Packard Campus for Audio Visual Conservation in Culpeper, Virginia; the Dense Book Depository at Fort Meade, Maryland; and renovations in the LOC buildings in Washington, D.C.
Hantman's tenure was also marked by significant improvements to life safety and security measures across the Capitol campus.
Born in New York City in 1942, Hantman earned degrees in architecture and city planning from the City College and the City University of New York. Prior to his appointment he served as Vice President of Planning, Architecture, Historic Preservation and Construction at Rockefeller Center Management Corporation of New York City for 10 years. He previously worked as a development consultant, assistant chief architect and project manager at major architectural firms.