The Architect of the Capitol will be reconditioning existing utility systems, which will include excavation and trench work over the next year.
Excavation work will happen along 2nd Street NE and Constitution Avenue NE beginning March 31 and continuing into 2023.
The following traffic plan has been coordinated with DDOT:
- 2nd Street NE Northbound: Northbound lane will close for duration of the project from the intersection at Maryland Avenue NE to the end of the Veterans of Foreign Wars building.
- 2nd Street NE Northbound Traffic Detour: Right on Maryland Avenue, Left on 3rd Street NE, Left on C Street NE, Right on 2nd Street NE.
- 2nd Street NE Southbound: Southbound lane will be kept open, except for brief periods of construction on some weekends with detour signs posted.
- Constitution Avenue NE: One of the westbound lanes will close from the intersection of 2nd Street NE to the Hart Building. Eastbound lanes remain open.
- Pedestrian Traffic: Pedestrians will be routed to the eastern sidewalk on 2nd Street NE and the southern sidewalk on Constitution Avenue NE.
Much of the work will take place during the day from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.