Featured

Work Photography of a Worker repairing the Hart Roof at sunset.
Construction activities for the repair and replacement of the Hart Senate...

Featured

Visitor Guide Gives Tour of Rotunda
Please note: Many of these Capitol Hill buildings are working office buildings...

Featured

Photo of Capitol Hill steps.
Download a PDF of the full list.

Featured

The figure of Liberty in the Apotheosis of George Washington is depicted wearing a Liberty Cap
The liberty cap was the symbol of freedom and liberty commonly used in the 19th...

Explore Capitol Hill

William Penn and the Indians

Overview 

William Penn is shown at center with the Delaware Indians at the time of the Treaty of Shackamaxon. This treaty formalized the purchase of land in Pennsylvania and cemented an amicable relationship between the Quakers and the Indians for almost a hundred years. This scene was that last one on which Constantino Brumidi worked.

Constantino Brumidi
Artist

Frieze of American History
Rotunda
U.S. Capitol

William Penn and the Indians

The frieze in the Rotunda of the United States Capitol contains a painted panorama depicting significant events in American history. Thomas U. Walter's 1859 cross-section drawing of the new dome (constructed 1855-1863) shows a recessed belt atop the Rotunda walls with relief sculpture. Eventually it was painted in true fresco, a difficult and exacting technique in which the pigments are applied directly onto wet plaster. As the plaster cures the colors become part of the wall. Consequently, each section of plaster must be painted the day it is laid. The frieze is painted in grisaille, a monochrome of whites and browns that resembles sculpture. It measures 8 feet 4 inches in height and approximately 300 feet in circumference. It starts 58 feet above the floor.

The frieze is the work of three artists, Constantino Brumidi, Filippo Costaggini and Allyn Cox. It was designed by Brumidi, an Italian artist who studied in Rome before emigrating to America. Brumidi created a sketch for the Rotunda frieze in 1859 but was not authorized to begin work until 1877.

Last Updated: September 30, 2013