Recognizing the trust placed in us by Congress and the American people, the AOC team is committed to providing a safe environment and inspiring experiences for all who work and visit the symbol of American democracy.
The AOC is rooted in a tradition of unique craftsmanship and ingenuity. Tracing its beginnings to the laying of the Capitol cornerstone in 1793, the AOC is responsible for the operations and care of more than 18.4 million square feet of facilities, 570 acres of grounds and thousands of works of art. The Capitol campus is home to 30,000 daily occupants and hosts about 5 million visitors annually.
Today, there are more than 2,000 AOC employees serving around the clock in diverse roles to maintain and preserve the buildings and grounds. Iconic landmarks under our care include the U.S. Capitol, Capitol Grounds, Capitol Visitor Center, House Office Buildings, Library of Congress, Senate Office Buildings, Supreme Court and U.S. Botanic Garden.
Our Mission: Serve, Preserve, Inspire
To serve Congress and the Supreme Court, preserve America's Capitol and inspire memorable experiences.
The Architect of the Capitol has four goals that it strives to achieve in order to carry out its mission to serve, preserve and inspire:
- Maintain Awe-Inspiring Facilities
The AOC's mission centers on our stewardship of the structures and grounds of the nation’s Capitol. We must ensure every visitor to Capitol Hill experiences the grandeur of these historic treasures at their very best.
- Provide Extraordinary Services
We support our prestigious occupants in their critical mission to govern our country. We fulfill the journey of visitors from across our nation and around the world to celebrate and discover the center and symbol of American democracy. Our internal and external services are equally essential in the successful fulfillment of our mission, values and vision.
- Foster an Innovative and Empowered Workforce
An empowered workforce will exercise greater responsibility for its performance, and proactively apply well-informed judgement and innovation, to solve problems with solutions that focus on results.
- Operate as One Team, Dedicated to One Mission
We must recognize and value that what may appear to be competing priorities for different AOC functions are ultimately in service to our united mission, values and vision.
Our Core Values
We at the AOC have shared workplace values that influence the choices we make and the actions we take to do our work to meet our mission. Our values enable us to RISE together:
- Respect — We treat one another with civility and kindness, so that we honor the value and dignity of all people.
- Integrity — We demonstrate honesty, ethics and reliability, so that we earn trust and do what is right.
- Safety — We are governed by the foundation of safety always, so that we can feel safe, make safe and be safe.
- Empower — We are one team seeking better ways to do our work, so that we all contribute to the success of the AOC.
Our Customer Service Philosophy
The customer service behaviors of AOC employees demonstrate our commitment to being ROC stars:
- Responsive — We immediately acknowledge our customers and their needs; we ensure they receive a timely resolution.
- Ownership — We provide a personalized and proactive service; we anticipate needs and implement solutions.
- Courteous — We treat others as we want to be treated; everyone is a Very Important Person.