Who We Are
Serving Congress and the Supreme Court, the Architect of the Capitol (AOC) is the builder and steward of the landmark buildings and grounds of Capitol Hill. The AOC staff preserves and maintains the historic buildings, monuments, art and inspirational gardens on the Capitol campus. Recognizing the trust placed in us by Congress and the American people, the AOC team is committed to providing a safe environment and inspiring experiences for all who work and visit the symbol of American democracy.
What We Do
The AOC is rooted in a tradition of unique craftsmanship and ingenuity. Tracing its beginnings to the laying of the Capitol cornerstone in 1793, the AOC is responsible for the operations and care of more than 17.4 million square feet of facilities, 580 acres of grounds and thousands of works of art. The Capitol campus is home to 30,000 daily occupants and hosts more than 3 million visitors annually.
Today, there are more than 2,000 AOC employees serving around the clock in diverse roles to maintain and preserve the buildings and grounds. Iconic landmarks under our care include the U.S. Capitol, Capitol Grounds, Capitol Visitor Center, House Office Buildings, Library of Congress, Senate Office Buildings, Supreme Court and U.S. Botanic Garden.
Our Mission: Serve, Preserve, Inspire
To serve Congress and the Supreme Court, preserve America's Capitol, and inspire memorable experiences for all who visit the buildings and grounds.
The AOC has four goals that it strives to achieve in order to carry out its mission to Serve, Preserve and Inspire:
- Maintain Awe-Inspiring Facilities
- Provide Extraordinary Services
- Foster an Innovative and Empowered Workforce
- Serve as One Team with One Mission
Our Core Values
The AOC team practices the following principles:
- Integrity — To be honest and sincere and to earn the trust of those we serve.
- Professionalism — To adhere to the highest standards of the practice relevant to the work we do.
- Teamwork — To work cooperatively with others to achieve the AOC's mission.
- Pride — To derive satisfaction from the work done by the AOC in serving Congress, the Supreme Court and the American people every day