This plaque was a gift of the District of Columbia, placed during George Washington Bicentennial in 1932 at the Capitol Plaza fountain terrace.
Text of the Plaque:
HERE WERE THE LOTS ACQUIRED ON
OCTOBER 3, 1798
BY GENERAL GEORGE WASHINGTON
AND ON WHICH HE BUILT
TWO BRICK DWELLINGS
FROM DESIGNS BY DR. WILLIAM THORNTON
A DWELLING REMODELED FROM THE TWO
DWELLINGS WAS OWNED AND OCCUPIED BY
ADMIRAL CHARLES WILKES
THE FAMOUS EXPLORER
After serving as private homes to successive owners, the houses became hotels and were in greatly altered condition when they were razed in 1913.