The following press release is via the United States Capitol Police.
Information on Street Closures, Prohibited Items
The 38th Annual National Peace Officers' Memorial Service will be held on the West Front of the U.S. Capitol beginning at 11 a.m. on Wednesday, May 15, 2019. This ceremony honors law enforcement officers who were killed in the line of duty. The Roll Call of Heroes read during the ceremony will honor the 228 peace officers who lost their lives in the line of duty during calendar year 2018.
Street Closures and Bus Restrictions
On Wednesday, May 15 beginning at 12:01 a.m., the streets listed below near the West Front of the Capitol will be closed to vehicular traffic and parking also will be restricted in these areas. These streets will re-open at 5 p.m.
- First Street NW/SW between Constitution and Independence Avenues
- Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, from First Street, NW, to Third Street, NW
- Maryland Avenue, SW, from First Street to Third Street
Tour buses will be rerouted to Third Street SW/NW at Maryland Avenue, SW, and Third Street at Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, for drop off and pick up on Wednesday, May 15.
Law Enforcement Personnel
Law enforcement personnel planning to attend the Memorial Service should please note the following:
- Armed LE in UNIFORM: Are required to present valid Police Credentials.
- Armed LE in plainclothes: Are required to present valid Police Credentials plus ONE other form of Identification, and MUST wear Badge on outer garment.
The following items will be prohibited from entering through the screening points:
- Air horns
- Animals (other than service animals)
- Bags exceeding 18" x 14" x 8.5"
- Chairs (other than those for disabled persons)
- Drones and other unmanned ground or aircraft systems
- Explosives of any kind (including fireworks)
- Glass and Metal Containers
- Knives, blades or sharp objects (of any length)
- Laser Pointers
- Mace and/or Pepper Spray
- Pocket or Hand Tools, such as "Leatherman"
- Selfie Sticks
- Structures such as folding tables, canopies and tents
- Signs or supports for signs exceeding 5x3x1 made of any material except cardboard, poster board or cloth
- Toy Guns
- Weapons of any kind
- Umbrellas larger 36" in diameter (those smaller than 36" will be allowed)
Other items that may pose a threat to the security of the event as determined by and at the discretion of the security screeners.