The Russell Senate Office Building (built 1903-1908) is the oldest of the Senate office buildings as well as a significant example of the Beaux Arts style.

The first congressional office buildings were constructed immediately after the turn of the century to relieve overcrowding in the U.S. Capitol Building. Previously, members who wanted office space had to rent quarters or borrow space in committee rooms. In March 1901, Congress authorized the drawing of plans for fireproof office buildings adjacent to the Capitol Grounds. In March 1903, the acquisition of sites and construction of the buildings were authorized.

In April 1904, the prominent New York architectural firm of Carrère and Hastings was retained. John Carrère took charge of the Senate Office Building project, while Thomas Hastings oversaw the construction of an almost identical office building (now named the Cannon House Office Building) for the House of Representatives. Their Beaux Arts designs were restrained complements to the Capitol. Architecturally, their elevations are divided into a rusticated base and a colonnade with an entablature and balustrade. The colonnades with 34 Doric columns that face the Capitol are echoed by pilasters on the sides of the buildings. Both buildings are faced with marble and limestone; the Russell Building's base and terrace are gray granite. Modern for their time, they included such facilities as forced-air ventilation systems, steam heat, individual lavatories with hot and cold running water and ice water, telephones, and electricity. Both are connected to the Capitol by underground passages. Originally, there were 98 suites and 8 committee rooms in the Russell Building; the First Street Wing, completed in 1933, added 2 committee rooms and 28 suites.

Of special architectural interest is the rotunda. Eighteen Corinthian columns support an entablature and a coffered dome, whose glazed oculus floods the rotunda with natural light. Twin marble staircases lead from the rotunda to an imposing Caucus Room, which features Corinthian pilasters, a full entablature, and a richly detailed ceiling; the Russell Caucus Room retains its original 1910 benches and settles with carved eagles. This space has been used for many hearings on subjects of national significance, from the sinking of the Titanic (1912) to Watergate (1974) and the nomination of Justice Clarence Thomas (1991). In 2009, Senate Resolution 264 designated the room as the Kennedy Caucus Room in honor of Senators John F. Kennedy, Robert F. Kennedy and Edward M. Kennedy.

The Russell Building was occupied in 1909 by the Senate of the 61st Congress. The growth of staff and committees in the twenty years following its completion resulted in the addition of a fourth side, the First Street Wing, to the originally U-shaped building. Nathan Wyeth and Francis P. Sullivan were the consulting architects for the new wing, which was completed in 1933. In 1972, the building was named for former Senator Richard Brevard Russell, Jr.


The History of the U.S. Capitol

Watch the video or click the link below to learn more about the history, construction, expansion and renovation of the U.S. Capitol Building from 1793 to the present day. 

U.S. Capitol History

Recent News

Noteworthy Updates

History & Discoveries

Olmsted's Never-Built Retreat

Before it was cut from the budget, Olmsted had begun designing a south summerhouse; his sketches for it have been rediscovered.
Public Notice

Volume 20 of Tholos Magazine Now Available

The latest edition of the Architect of the Capitol (AOC) employee magazine, Tholos, is now available. Articles include a feature on Frederick Law Olmsted’s never-built retreat, an employee highlight on interning during COVID, a spotlight on the agency's sustainability efforts and more.
History & Discoveries

The Architect of the Capitol Sweeps Up the Past

When Jim Kaufmann, Capitol Grounds and Arboretum Director, happened across an 1891 street-sweeping map while going through cultural landscape reports, he had no idea how simple an old map could make caring for the U.S. Capitol Grounds.

Senate Office Buildings

Explore More


Stone Preservation

Stone preservation is a top priority for the Architect of the Capitol as nearly every building is enveloped in stone and all have problems.

Discover the Details

View All Projects